Daily News: Rally-goers urge City Hall to boost budget for summer programs for kids
BY BEN CHAPMAN
Nearly 400 parents, advocates and city kids rallied on the steps of City Hall Monday to urge Mayor de Blasio to include $20 million for summer-enrichment programs in his upcoming executive budget.
The cash would be used for summer camps and classes for 31,000 city middle school students starting in July. De Blasio is expected to unveil his executive budget Tuesday.
The city funded the programs last year due to an administrative error that threatened the programs run by dozens of community organizations
This go-round, the funding was removed from the budget.
City officials said they had announced last year that additional seats would only be funded for a year, giving parents and providers plenty of notice to find other resources.
United Neighborhood Houses director Gregory Brender said kids need the programs.
“Summer programs are essential in providing children a safe place to go,” said Gregory Brender, director of United Neighborhood Houses. “Time is running out to make certain that the needs of our children are met.”